Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tamiflu

I don't want to speak prematurely here, but I wanted to share this information (in case it is as helpful as it seems) with those of you who may be facing the flu.
The main, active ingredient in the antiviral drug that we have all heard about on the news called Tamiflu, is shikimic acid. Supposedly shikimic acid is found in large quantities in most of our backyards! Pine needles have a reportedly high content of vitamin C and shikimic acid. I read that the natives taught the European settlers to use pine needles to keep them from getting scurvy and other illnesses. Needless to say, once I read this I was off like Little Red Riding Hood gathering berries. Excitedly, I skipped through the yard clipping the newest sprouts off my yellow pine. I made a tea and forced it into my newest patients. Evan was almost done anyway with his flu symptoms so it's hard to say if it worked for him, but Kaiya seemed to recover quickly with a much less severe case once she drank the brew. I also had myself and the other children drink up. So far, so good. It has been about 3 days. We'll see how it goes!
NOTE: Do not drink or consume pine needles if you are (or might be) pregnant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment