Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Uncool is contagious. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

If you had told me when I was 20 years old where and who I'd be in 13 years I probably would have rolled my eyes and written you off as completely insane. Back then I was a self proclaimed Buddhist with a love for eccentricity. I didn't shave my legs, eat meat, or buy brand name clothes. I was one of the coolest ...well, whatever I was...around. The last thing I ever wanted was what came next. 
I can still remember what it felt like after it happened and I realized that my friends were not being as open-minded as they once claimed to be. I now realize that those "free-spirited", "open-minded" individuals were never really who they had built themselves up to be. Which is exactly the way I was. You could have told me you believed in tree fairies and goblins and I would've listened with open ears but, when it came to the J word...you're a wackerjack.

An excerpt from Bob Dylan's, I Believe in You 

 ...They look at me and frown,
They'd like to drive me from this town,
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.


I have since had to get used to being "uncool". That was the easy part. The hard part however, has been watching life long friends walk out of my life because of my faith. As if my new "uncool" might be contagious. Hmmmm. Now that I think of it, maybe it is ...

No comments:

Post a Comment